Thursday, May 15, 2008

#24 MEMORIES OF MY MELANCHOLY WHORES by Gabriel Garcia Marquez


Number of Book #24
Date Began and Finished 4/20 - 4/23 2008
Genre - Literature
Year It Was Published - 2005
Publisher - Knopf
Number of Pages 115
Small size Hardcover
Reason for reading: TBR
Rating 3.5/5 stars

Blurb or Synopsis: I really wanted to LOVE this book, but I think again my problem with Gabriel Garcia Marquez (this being the 3rd piece of work that I've read by him) is that I am either not focused on the writing,or I'm simply not getting it. When I enjoy a book, I close the book after the last page with a WOW feeling, or I'm crying, or I wish the book hadn't ended. With MEMORIES OF MY MELANCHOLY WHORES, I didn't have any of these reactions. Yes, I loved this writing - he has a gift for details, and he doesn't hold back. He seems to enjoy writing about illness and bodily fluids, and I'm always laughing out loud during these passages. But when I finished the book, I didn't have the "wow" sensation I expected to have.

The main character, who remains nameless, is about to celebrate his 90th birthday, and wants to give himself a present in the form of a virginal prostitute. He has had prostitutes, hundreds of them, but this time he wants something special. She needs to be untouched and young. His old friend, a madam he has gone to for years, promises to obtain what he wants, and she brings him a young girl, virginal, for his birthday. However, for some reason, he never deflowers her. He instead leaves her untouched (as she gives him the sign that she is frightened) and marvels at her body.

At the same time, he turns to his memories and his long life, his career as a journalist, and the fact that he never married. And night after night, he does not touch this virginal girl, and the one thing he has never had happen to him has happened - he falls in love.

I love reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez because his words are so beautiful. But again, I felt that I couldn't grasp what he really wanted to say in his book. I am disappointed that I don't have the capacity to really appreciate his works, and this will be the last time I will attempt to read a fiction book of his. However, I will read his autobiography, which I hope will be a fascinating read.

2 comments:

Madeleine said...

He is definitely focused on sex and love...ha ha!and young women.

I did like this book, I often wonder if the translation is what stops us from getting the full meaning, when I read in a foreign language aspecially French I wonder "how in the world are they going to translate this???" and I think in romantic languages there is often a gap and the translation is 'cold'. In german it is easy, I can see how it translates well into english. I imagine translating Japanese is very difficult to, there have to be words, feelings that we in english do not know about. Marquez is a VERY romantique writer, do we get it in English? I do not think so.

ratmammy said...

I dont' think it's the translation.. i think it's me! for some reason i'm just not getting him. he's a brilliant writer but i think my reading skills are just so so. I don't know.. have you read any of his books in french? I am curious!