Tuesday, May 06, 2008

#21 BUBBLES BETROTHED by Sarah Strohmeyer


Number of Book #21
Date Began and Finished 4/7 - 4/10 2008
Genre - Mystery/humor
Year It Was Published - 2005
Publisher - Dutton
Number of Pages 289
Hardcover
Reason for reading: Tbr, trade with friend
Rating 4/5 stars

Blurb or Synopsis: The BUBBLES series has always been fun. They are very similar to the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich (the two authors are friends, which is not surprising) and while you can see the influence, there are differences. both are humorous takes on the whodunit, but i think Stephanie Plum is by far the more outrageous of the two characters, often times reaching out into the bizarre. Bubbles Yablonsky is a little more down to earth, although inept in many ways. But that's what endears her to the readers, I believe.

For those who haven't read any of the Bubbles books, Bubbles Yablonsky was a hairdresser (she still hangs out at the House of Beauty), then went to get her degree at a community college that used to be a shopping mall, now known as TWO GUYS COMMUNITY COLLEGE to become a journalist. Bubbles now works for the local paper, and has a hot boyfriend (Stiletto) who is an award winning photographer.

In this book, Bubbles tries to seek an interview with a woman who is accused of murder, and ends up witnessing the accused own death. Crazy Popeye was in jail for murdering Principal Schmidt, but Bubbles learns from Popeye that she's innocent. Of course no one believes it, but Bubbles does, and her mission is now to clear up Popeye's name and the real killer.

In the mean time Stiletto needs a favor from Bubbles. He needs to show that he's engaged in order to avoid a job transfer overseas. Bubbles would rather it be the real thing, but agrees to pose as his fiance for his career. Unfortunately, her mother and others see the "rock" on her finger, and it's not small. Word spreads that Stiletto and Bubbles are about to be married.

Bubbles' ex husband Dan is still in the picture, and there is a twist in his story that changes Bubble's life. It doesn't look like Bubbles is going to get her happily ever after.

I made the mistake of reading the books out of order (I thought for sure this was the last in the series) and instead, I found out what happens in THIS book because I had read the next book first! but regardless, I was still able to enjoy the book. The story line of Principal Schmidt's murder i thought was pretty good, and figuring out who was the real murderer was fun. It is better to read these books in order, because there is continuity throughout the series, but hopefully if you do make the mistake of reading one before the other, I think they are still enjoyable. BUBBLES BETROTHED is recommended and is a great beach read.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read the first one in the series a few years ago, especially because it was similar to the Stephanie Plum series. I liked it all right but not enough to continue reading the next one (but I have it at home, in my ever expanding TBR stack !)

Sarah Strohmeyer said...

Hi, Ratmammy...
I always wondered who you were (that name!) and now I have an idea.

Have you received a copy of Sweet Love? Lemme know if you want one...you might like it. There's lots of dessert and mother/daughter stuff. Based it on the experience of losing my own mother and being left with her recipes. (Nothing fancy, trust me. Meatloaf and blond brownies.)

I once interviewed Margaret Atwood years and years ago. The woman is a witch. I mean that in the best possible way, but she really is. I was starry eyed...(from your profile you said...well, you know.)

Thanks,

Sarah

ratmammy said...

Hi Joelle and Sarah! Joelle, glad you found my blog I owe you a note! thanks for your email earlier this year! Yes, the Bubbles series is very similar to Stephanie plum. These books, both series, are such easy reads so I continued them as each book came out. There is some continuity involved in both series.


Sarah, is this THE Sarah Strohmeyer? thanks for the offer for SWEET LOVE. I am waiting for my copy from BOOKREPORTER.COM. I will be reviewing the book there soon! i just wrote my editor to remind him i have not received it yet!

I lost my my mother a little over 2 years. It's amazing how time flies... that first year was very difficult. I am now very excited to know i'll be reading the book soon!

I don't know what Margaret ATwood is like, but I imagine she is very serious, somewhat rigid, but very very smart. I think i would be starry eyed too if i had to interview her!

Sarah Strohmeyer said...

Yes, this is *the* sarah strohmeyer. Haha...How great to be addressed so. Okay, if you're going to review the book I better not interfere. But if you need one, please email me at writesarah@aol.com and I'll shoot one off. I'm going to the mailbox tomorrow...(Vermont. Ya gotta make a trip...)
I lost my mother right before the first Bubbles book was published. So disappointing that she never got to see it in print. For three years before that (yes, that's how long it took me to write Bubbles Unbound!) I would say to her, what's the point, I've got a job and two small children and what am I doing this for, it won't work out...and I have all this laundry!
Her advice? Forget the laundry. There will ALWAYS be laundry. Just write the book.
Man, do I miss her..